January 19, 2010

What to do?

Juliette departed yesterday. She is going back to the states to do some work for two weeks so here I am, in complete charge of things………kind of boring in paradise, I mean we have been joined at the hip for the last couple of months, this boat has about as much room as a big living room. I’m sure I’ll be able to adjust.

Well I woke up to nice surprise. The wind was gone and the water in the bay is like glass.

Nassua, Boat work 001

Nassua, Boat work 002

Nice public beach in the back yard. The only bad thing about this anchorage is the jet skiers. The beach has a few hotels on it and the guest come out and some decide to rent a jet ski for 1/2 an hour. Of course what is the first thing you do when you hit the throttle?….. You go over and check out the only boat in the bay. Me!

Its not that bad, I know I can move anytime, but its kind of nice here after being out in the sticks for the past month. I’ve got a nice beach to land the dingy on and plenty of places to go explore (stores) and Wi-Fi.

This morning I decided to check the bilges. Seems I always have a little water in each one. I think it comes in from the bilge drain hose in big seas. I might have to rig up some kind of backflow preventer.

Nassua, Boat work 003

Nassua, Boat work 004

These pictures were taken after I removed about 3/4 inch of water.

Next I checked the oil in the engines and generator. I had to add one quart between all of them. Not Bad.

Nassua, Boat work 009

Oops, letting it get a little to low. Believe it or not, that little 30hp diesel only needs 3 quarts of oil to fill it up after a change. Nice!

Nassua, Boat work 010

Nassua, Boat work 015

Next, I cleaned out the raw water strainer for the generator. Sea water gets sucked in from below the boat to keep the motor cool, but sometimes crap gets sucked in as well. (Once I found a small crab in there).

No comments:

Post a Comment